The meeting of the Newmarket Environmental Advisory Committee was held on Wednesday, May 7, 2014 in Mulock Room, 395 Mulock Drive, Newmarket.


Members Present:

John Birchall

Wes Guldemond

Doug Jagger

Jill King

Joanna Parsons

Geoff Shore




Councillor Twinney

Philip Breault

Dayna Laxton



Staff Present:

C. Schritt, Traffic Technician

C. Finnerty, Council/Committee Coordinator


The meeting was called to order at 7:00 p.m.


John Birchall in the Chair. 


Additions and Corrections to the Agenda




Declarations of Pecuniary Interest
















Ms. Joan Stonehocker, Executive Director, York Region Food Network regarding Community Gardens and endorsement of the York Region Food Network Food Charter.




Ms. Joan Stonehocker and Ms. Kate Greavette provided a PowerPoint presentation regarding the York Region Food Charter.  Discussion ensued regarding endorsement of the Food Charter, including how to enact the principles contained within the charter and associated financial impacts to the Town.



Moved by:      Joanna Parsons

Seconded by: Doug Jagger




The Newmarket Environmental Advisory Committee recommends to Council:



a) WHEREAS York Region’s food system is vital to our community’s health, economic development, environmental sustainability, education and social justice;


b) AND WHEREAS the Town of Newmarket understands the food system is a complex system with interconnected and interrelated priorities, and is committed to strengthening the food system through coordinated actions for food-related programming;


c) THEREFORE BE IT RESOLVED that the Newmarket Environmental Advisory Committee recommend that the Town of Newmarket endorse the York Region Food Charter;


d) AND THAT the Town adopt the policies and principles contained within the Food Charter into the Town’s Official Plan.















Approval of Minutes



Environmental Advisory Committee Minutes of April 2, 2014.



Moved by: Geoff Shore

Seconded by: Doug Jagger



THAT the Environmental Advisory Committee Minutes of April 2, 2014 be approved.








Moved by: Joanna Parsons

Seconded by: Doug Jagger



THAT the correspondence items, previously distributed by e-mail, be received.








E-Waste Challenge - Suggestions and Use of New Sponsors.




J. Birchall presented advertising materials, including a proposed flyer, poster and banner for the E-Waste Challenge.  The event will take place on Saturday, September 27, 2014 from 9:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. at Upper Canada Mall.  Tim Horton’s will be sponsoring the event.  Discussion ensued regarding the advertising materials.   



Trail Map Update




J. Parsons advised that the Town’s Recreation and Culture Department has agreed to pay the difference so that 8,500 trail maps can be ordered at an additional cost of approximately $1,900.00.  D. Laxton and J. Parsons have been working with Town staff to finalize the print version of the trail map.  Joanna Parsons to follow up with the Town on the status of the finalized trail map.








Ian Gray Award Review and Action Items.




J. Birchall provided an overview of the Ian Gray Award process.  He suggested that the process is overly complicated and could be simplified and requested that Committee members review any opportunities to amend the process.  Discussion ensued streamlining the award, outreach to schools and identification of award deliverables.  The Committee determined that a working, efficient and results driven process needs to be determined.  Committee members to review the timing of the award, number of grants provided and other means of simplifying the process for discussion at the June 4, 2014 meeting.  J. Birchall to contact schools for their feedback on the award process. 



Community Garage Sale




D. Jagger advised that the Community Garage Sale will occur on Saturday, May 31, 2014 from 8:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. at the northwest corner of Yonge Street and Eagle Street in the parking lot and provided a status update on the event planning.  There are eight registrants to date and the Town has committed to providing cones and barricades but is unable to deliver to the site.  D. Laxton is in discussions with the Town in order to obtain a sign permit and D. Jagger will post the signs on Monday, May 26, 2014.  The draft sign has not yet been approved by Communications.  D. Jagger advised that volunteers are still required to assist on the event day.   



Review of the Provincial Environmental Advisory Committee Meeting - Brampton, ON




No NEAC members were able to attend the Provincial Environmental Advisory Committee Meeting.



Discussion regarding Planning/Building recommendations regarding materials disposal for the demolition of sales pavilions and onsite buildings in development areas.




J. Birchall expressed concern that useful materials from sales pavilions are being sent to landfill and suggested that they may be able to be reused by other organizations. 








Moved by:      Geoff Shore

Seconded by: Jill King


THAT the Planning and Development Department, Building Services division review demolition permits for sales pavilions and encourage developers to donate materials to community organizations.   





Discussion of NEAC Priorities.  




Discussion of NEAC Priorities was deferred to the June 4, 2014 meeting.



NEAC Follow-up Meeting with Council




Discussion regarding NEAC’s Follow-up Meeting with Council was deferred to the June 4, 2014 meeting.



Meeting Schedule for the Balance of the Council Term.




J. Birchall inquired if the Committee should meet over the summer months.  He will distribute an e-mail to confirm the availability of members in order to make a decision at the June 4, 2014 meeting.



Discussion regarding proposed upcoming delegations.




Discussion regarding proposed upcoming delegations was deferred to the June 4, 2014 meeting.


New Business







Moved by: Joanna Parsons

Seconded by: Doug Jagger


THAT the meeting adjourn.






There being no further business, the meeting adjourned at 8:43 p.m.









John Birchall, Meeting Chair










Next Meeting Date: Wednesday, June 4, 2014 at 6:30 p.m. in the Mulock Room

Meeting Chair: Geoff Shore